I graduated High school from Germantown, TN were I was born and raised. I earned my Bachelors Degree in Biology from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. After Many years of working in Medicine and with the encouragement of my wife, whom is an elementary educator, I earned my certification in teaching from The University of Mississippi.
The 2018-2019 school year was not only my first year at Lewisburg High, it was my very first year as an educator. I thoroughly love educating young minds about the amazing field of Biology.
I was born and raised in Germantown, TN. I have always enjoyed studying the natural world and how it works. So much even that I left a career in medicine to educate others in Biology. in 2016 I married the love of my life Mrs. Graves and with her encouragement I made the career change. As I tell my students you have to love what you do. My wife and I are the proud parents of our three dogs and love them very much.
Biology is a Mississippi subject area that will be tested in Dec. for fast track biology and in May for year long bio students. The class you are enrolled in will help prepare you for this exam.
YEAR LONG: Lessons will be fast paced in order to keep up with the state and county objectives that must be covered before the exam to ensure your success. The intro course will begin your biology journey and it will end 2nd semester with the state exam in May. This will allow much more detail and exposure through hands on labs to the bio topics being covered. We will also cover a complete review book before the end of the year. It's really like two courses in one so you will receive 2 high school credits toward graduation.
FAST TRACK: The fast track course is designed for those students wishing to cover the main objectives in biology in only one semester. It is a class for very studious, organized, and determined students. The pace is almost three times as fast as year long. We will be using websites to complete many outside class assignments including virtual labs. The state exam for the first semester class will be in Dec. and second semester in May.
You must pass the state exam to graduate high school!
REQUIRED CLASS SUPPLIES
2 – Large bag of individually wrapped candy. (Turn in will be used as daily treats for participation)
1 - pack of Markers or colored pencils 10 pack
1 – 2 inch 3-ring binder (to be used strictly for biology) w/ LOOSE LEAF PAPER ONLY!
1 - pack of dividers
1 – 3-hole zipper pencil bag to fit in 3 ring binder (big enough for flashcards)
2 - 100 index cards (200 total) - put in your pencil bag.
1 Bound Composition book for Bell work and notes
Wish List Supplies:
Kleenex, colored pencils, Disinfecting wipes, pack of pencils, red pens, paper towels.
Gift cards are always appreciated especially amazon for supplies and games
We will be using Remind101 as a free, simple, and safe messaging tool for me to share important updates and reminders regarding class assignments etc. throughout the year. Students and parents can subscribe by text, email, or by using the Remind app. Per school policy, Remind will only be used for the teacher to convey information to the parents or students. If you do have a question or concern about a remind message, please feel free to email. I suggest setting up through text, if you choose to do so the text # is 81010 and send the following message based on your/your class
First block: @332798 Fast Track
Second Block: @h46ccg
Fourth Block: @397h2h
I don't always send a remind so students MUST keep up with materials and assignment DUE DATES
|Class Rules |
1) The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would have them treat you. Respect others as well as yourselves. If you have an issue with another student or any other problem feel free to tell me immediately.
2) Talking: Please raise your hand to speak. If others are taking their turn to talk, we listen.
3) Phones: Cell phones should not be out during class unless I have specified students can be on them.
4)Responsibility: Bring all materials to class and stay on task with all assignments.
5)Questions: Do not hesitate to raise your hand to ask a question or ask after class. The art and science of asking questions is the source of all knowledge.
6) School Conduct: Follow rules and policies as stated in the District Student Handbook. HANDBOOK FORMS MUST BE SIGNED AND RETURNED
1st Offense: Verbal Warning
2nd Offense: Teacher-Student Conference after class (this may result in
patriot hour detention, patriot hour for a purpose, or parent contact)
3rd Offense: Teacher-Parent Conference or phone call.
4th Offense: Discipline Referral written and student is sent to the office
1.)will be taken up and returned at the end of the day for the first offense and parents will be notified
2.) Any subsequent phone violations will result in the phone being turned into the office
I have a zero tolerance cheating policy. If a student is caught cheating they will receive a zero
(this includes homework and projects).
The students parents and school administrators will be notified as well.
|General Procedures |
· The objectives for the week will be on the board every Monday – I suggest each student writes down the objectives for the week in your planner. This will help to keep you on target.
· Begin Bell Work: FLASH CARD STATE REVIEW/BOARD QUESTION. Write cards, study cards, partner quiz/discussion of answers quietly!
· Tardy – Enter quietly, sign in, hand teacher note if applicable, and have a seat without disturbing the class. Tardy students must get a slip from the office or provide a signed teacher excuse!
· KEEP ALL UNIT WORK TOGETHER IN YOUR BINDER– If I don’t collect an assignment it should be kept in your binder. All returned assignments should be kept in your binder until the end of the semester.
· Late assignments will have a starting grade of 75.
· Absence – It is the responsibility of the absentee to get any missed class notes or assignments from a responsible peer the first day back. All make up hand-outs will be in the blue folders on the wall. Per district policy- When a student is absent from school (excused or unexcused), the number of days allowed to “make up” and complete any required assignment is equal with the number of days missed, up to a maximum of five (5) days. When a student is absent, a grade is assigned, a ‘1’ will be placed in the grade book (grades are updated weekly) until the assignment is made up.
· Extra Help – I am always willing to help anyone who is trying to help themselves, my office hours are P1(10:47-11:17am) except on Thursdays. If you miss a test/quiz you will need to be prepared to make it up the following day during Patriot Hour.
· Keep backpacks, purses, and any belongings on the floor underneath your desk.
· You are allowed to have drinks in class,but they must be in a sealed container! If you spill it, you clean it up. Any damaged materials will be assessed for student repair or replacement.
· Talking for any reason during a test or displaying any form of cheating will NOT be tolerated and will result in a grade of 0 for that test, a write-up, and parent-teacher conference.
· Students will be instructed on all emergency procedures.
· Students MUST participate in class, during activities, and take notes.
|Lab fees |
Biology Lab fee total is $20 and needs to be paid by August 31, 2019