ACT/SAT Prep I, DC - Comp I, DC - Comp II
March 30, 2020 UPDATE
Please make sure you are signed up for my Remind and are logging into
Canvas everyday. This week I have posted an update and resources about the NWCC-required synthesis paper assignment.
ACT Prep- Create a student account on ACT Academy. The website is https://academy.act.org/ Once you have created an account, join my class with code 76QVPFTY You also need to make sure to join Mrs. Worsham's and Mrs. Meadows' classes on ACT Academy. You can join more than one "class" with your account. Mrs. Worsham's code is 5CHTR and Mrs. Meadows' code is 7QYRBHC
We have added some review assignments and assessments for you to do this week.
As always, I hope everyone is well! Please email me if you have any questions!
March 23, 2020 UPDATE
Comp I- Please make sure you are signed up for my Remind and are logging into Canvas everyday. This week will be discussion board assignments only. This is how I will count your attendance for NWCC.
ACT Prep- Create a student account on ACT Academy. The website is https://academy.act.org/ Once you have created an account, join my class with code 76QVPFTY I'm going to start by using ACT Academy to assign work. If I find that it is not working out, I will create a new plan. As always, I will update you of any changes.
*Also- make sure you check Mrs. Meadows' and Mrs. Worsham's pages for other suggestions and assignments.
MARCH 18, 2020 UPDATE
- Please make sure you are signed up for the Remind. Text @whitecomp1 to 81010 (My Remind messages are also linked on this page.)
- Please make sure you can still sign in to Canvas. We have been working on Canvas already, but I will start to post new announcements and assignments there next week. We must start back to work next week so that you can complete all the require coursework to receive college credit. I will send Remind updates when the time comes.
- In the mean time, you can always read! The First Regional Library website (in Desoto County) and the New York Public Library have both opened up many options for electronic use. Please consult those websites.I believe you can call a First Regional Library branch to get a library card (if you don't already have one), and here is the link for the New York Public Library: https://www.nypl.org/books-music-movies/ebookcentral/simplye
- Y'all are really good at communicating with and helping one another. Please continue to do that during this unexpected closure. I know this is not easy nor ideal, but we will all have to work together to get through it, and I have faith that you will make it!
- If you need me for anything, please email me by choosing the "contact" link above.
- Make sure you are signed up for the Remind. Text @burgACT to 81010 (My Remind messages are also linked on this page.)
- Updates about coursework will be sent through Remind directing you where to look for any work/practice.
- In the mean time, here are some FREE and helpful resources for ACT prep...
- ACT Academy: https://actacademy.act.org/profile/onboarding/create-profile?role=undefined
- March2Success: https://www.march2success.com/main/register
- Please continue to read! It is so important. Set goals for yourself. Ex. "I will read this entire page in one minute or less." OR "I will read for 15 uninterrupted minutes for three days straight."
- The First Regional Library website (in Desoto County) and the New York Public Library have both opened up many options for electronic use. Please consult those websites. I believe you can call a First Regional Library branch to get a library card (if you don't already have one), and here is the link for the New York Public Library: https://www.nypl.org/books-music-movies/ebookcentral/simplye
- I'm sure most of you received a notification that the April ACT has been cancelled and that you can switch to the June or July ACT test. I would do this before it's too late so that our school does not run out of test seats.
- I know this is not going to be easy nor ideal, but please try to make the best of it and not lose the skills you have acquired so far! Please email any of the ACT Prep teachers with any questions you may have!
2008- B.A. in English Education from The University of Mississippi
2014- National Board Certified Teacher
2017- M.A. in English and Educational Leadership from American College of Education
This will be my 12th year teaching at Lewisburg High School. I am a graduate of Olive Branch High School and the University of Mississippi. Additionally, I received National Board Certification in 2014. In 2017, I completed my master's degree in English from American College of Education. My husband, Michael, and I have an eight-year-old, Logan, and a four-year-old, Jace. At LHS, I am the sponsor of the Student Council and a member of the graduation and prom committees.
If you have any questions about class, use the "contact" link at the top of the page to send me an email.
2nd- ACT Prep
3rd- Comp. II
Patriot Hour--office hours during P1
1st- Comp. I
2nd- ACT Prep
Patriot Hour--office hours during P1
1984- George Orwell
Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
The Things They Carried- Tim O'Brien
Comp. I novels:*subject to change before or during Spring 2020 semester*
The Scarlet Letter- Nathaniel Hawthorne
Transcendentalism: Essential Essays of Emerson and Thoreau
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- Mark Twain
In Cold Blood- Truman Capote
Ep. 1 transcript
PUNCTUATION ESCAPE ROOM
VERSION 1 PINK
VERSION 2 BLUE
VERSION 3 PURPLE
VERSION 4 YELLOW